Dear Dr. Foster,
I am a 33 year old male who has recently been diagnosed with Type II Diabetes. I am currently on 10 mg. of Glucotrol and 80 mg of Lipitor per day. I am trying to research the benefits of juicing or another holistic approach to help my condition and get off of these medications. Can you help?
Before I get started on a very long answer, let's define the difference between Type I Diabetes Mellitus (also called juvenile onset or Insulin Dependent Diabetes) and Type II Diabetes (also called adult onset or insulin resistant Diabetes.)
The onset of Type I is usually sudden and severe. It occurs most frequently in children, which is why it is called juvenile onset diabetes. In this type of diabetes, it is thought that a virus attacks the pancreas so that it can no longer produce insulin. Insulin is the only hormone in the body which can lower blood sugar, so if it is not produced, then blood sugar rises because it cannot get into the cells without insulin. Some doctors have found research that suggests other less well-known causes: the drinking of cow's milk in infancy and receiving regular vaccinations. For more information on the hazards of immunizations, please visit the web site: www.909shot.com. Of course, now that the vaccines have already been given, there's nothing to do about this except don't take any more, and go to the healing recommendations at the end.
The onset of Type II Diabetes is usually gradual. Symptoms include weight loss, excessive thirst and hunger, weakness, and excessive urination. According to medical doctors, it can usually be controlled by diet and exercise and/or oral hypoglycemic medications (also called sulfonylureas). It occurs most frequently in middle-aged adults. Coincidentally, the insulin is produced normally, but the body's cells cannot absorb it. High levels of insulin have been measured in those who have developed this type of diabetes years later. The body tries to make more and more insulin in the attempt to overcome the cells' resistance to absorbing and using the insulin. This is why this type is called insulin-resistant diabetes.
The blood sugar rises because the body's cells are not absorbing glucose, and they begin to starve. This is the reason why many diabetics lose so much weight. Although the blood is literally stuffed with glucose (sugar), the cells are barely getting any of it. Most is eliminated through the urine which overloads and strains the kidneys. The high amount of sugar in the blood causes the water pressure in the blood vessels to shift which causes them to burst. This is especially noticeable in the tiniest arteries: those in the eyes and those in the kidneys. Those with diabetes are therefore very prone to diseases that are caused by poor circulation: coronary artery disease, high cholesterol, strokes, blood clots, kidney failure, and blindness. Many bacteria, viruses and fungi like to feed off of the high level of sugars in the diabetics' blood, which predisposes them to many infections. Many surgeons will not operate on diabetics since they may get severe infections afterwards.
insulin is being produced, so why isn't the blood sugar level normal:
There are two main reasons:
1. Too much glucose is being produced in the body or consumed by the patient.
Why medical researchers have not eliminated diabetes: The medical treatment for Type II Diabetes is usually an oral hypoglycemic agent (such as Glucotrol) which lowers the blood sugar. Although medical doctors have recognized that the malfunctioning of the liver is an important cause for diabetes - especially is responsible for high levels of sugars in the morning - they don't seem to be too concerned about the medication's side effect: liver damage. Logically, may deduce that damaging the liver (whose malfunctioning is responsible for the disease in the first place) would merely prolong the disease. These medications, such as glucotrol, will push the blood sugar down, but do not cure the disease, as every doctor knows. They work by stimulating the pancreas to release even more insulin, which puts an even greater strain on an organ that is already straining to put more insulin out. And it does nothing to unblock blocked receptor sites which causes the cells' resistance to the effects of the insulin which has been produced. It is like whipping a tired horse. Eventually, the horse is going to collapse. These medications, therefore, can actually cause the pancreas to wear out faster by overstimulating it.
For this reason, and because the patient typically continues the type of lifestyle that led to the disease in the first place, after many years of Type II Diabetes, the pancreas finally wears out, and the oral medications lose their effectiveness. "Secondary failure (i.e., failure to maintain a good response to sulfonylurea therapy) remains a disconcerting problem in the manegement of Type II Diabetes...it is possible that multiple dose , conventional therapy that produces sustained blood levels of long-acting sulfonylureas may induce a refractoriness in responding pancreatic B cells." (Source: Basic & Clinical Pharmacology, Bertram G. Katzung, MD, PhD.) The diabetic must then progress to taking insulin shots, such as those taken by Type I diabetics.
Due to the damage done to the blood vessels by the diabetes, problems with elevated cholesterol appear. the treatment for high cholesterol involves such cholesterol-lowering medications as Lipitor, which belongs to a class of medications called HMG CoA Reductase Inhibitors. One of the side effects of this class of medication is possible liver damage. Lipitor is contraindicated in persons with active liver disease (gee, I wonder why?)
With all of these medications causing liver damage to an already malfunctioning liver, is it any wonder that diabetes is not curable with current Western medical techniques? For this reason, I give the Modern Medical Establishment two thumbs down for their treatment of diabetes.
is there left to do?The following is a list of natural remedies
that are safe, nontoxic, and definitely do not damage the liver. Logically
one would try to enhance (not inhibit) the functioning of the liver
if one wanted to rid themselves of this condition.
and Refined Carbohydrates
are the Leading Causes of Diabetes
1. Heal the Liver: the liver is responsible for processing cholesterol in the body, as well as having some effect on regulating blood sugars, many people have found a liver detoxification program very helpful. Most people err on the side of not doing enough for a long enough period of time. Many buy a bottle of dandelion capsules, and think after it's used, up and they're not healed, that it didn't work. Don't just do a one week cleanse; do a cleanse until the problem is gone, and then do maintenance cleanses every few months to keep the liver functioning optimally. Use the highest quality products available. People CANNOT get high quality herbal products at the drug store or at any discount store. If you paid $5 for a bottle of herbs at a discount store, expect to get a discount healing (not much). People can try, but they won't get well if they don't use high quality herbs. Why herbal quality can make the difference between healing and staying ill. To be absolute sure of herbal quality, don't take chances - use my herbal formulas. For healing the liver, I use an herbal liver healing formula as part of a Liver Regeneration Program which works wonders.
2. Garlic has been noted in clinical research studies to lower blood sugar and blood cholesterol levels. I have found fresh garlic to be more beneficial than traditional garlic supplements, with the possible exception of Kyolic, which you you may wish to try to see if that has a good effect. My Garlic Tincture is made from fresh organically grown garlic. I've had some clients whose blood sugar went down just from taking the Colon Activator which also contains garlic.
3. Many essential oils have been noted to have a blood sugar lowering effect: dill, coriander, and fennel. These essential oils also have the additional effect of helping to unblock blocked receptor sites which cause cells to be resistant to the effects of insulin. The classic way to use essential oils is to use one drop of an oil, and massage onto the bottoms of the feet. This is usually done twice a day. Another type of oil may be applied in combination simultaneously. Note: these oils have now been put into a combination formula called Sweet Essence. We've been seeing lower blood sugar and HGBA1C lab values in diabetics (including insulin resistant as well as insulin dependent diabetics) who have been using this formula.
4. To help improve circulation which is often lacking in diabetics (which contributes to gangrene of the lower extremities, blood clots, heart attacks, strokes, etc.), the oils Cypress, Helichrysum and Lemon are excellent for normalizing the circulatory system. One drop of Lemon essential oil may be taken in each glass of water drunk throughout the day for maintaining healthy arteries and veins. One may also choose to take a strong high quality high heat unit Cayenne tincture or powder (at least 90,000 heat units or H.U.) which also has the same effect, and which protects the heart muscle in addition. Cayenne, in addition to stimulating blood circulation also has a notable beneficial hypoglycemic (blood sugar-lowering) effect.
Algaes such as spirulina, chlorella, blue green algae, Dunaliella
salina, etc. have a noticeable blood sugar balancing effect, and
which I highly encourage for daily consumption, even if no diabetes
is present. An average daily dose is 1-2 tsp per day.Since these
substances can be quite potent in their detoxifying ability, start
with a low dose, and increase gradually if you feel you can handle
it. If there are any problems, do not hesitate to seek the services
of a qualified natural health practitioners. Some people need to
cleanse the bowel first before they can handle this detoxifying
effect of algae. I use a formula called Essential
Nutrients which contains algae in addition to wheatgrass, barley
grass, alfalfa, and other natural foods which help to detoxify the
entire body as well as providing a rich source of nutrients and
which is low on the glycemic index and therefore safe for diabetics
to use. It has been having a great effect of balancing blood sugar
with many people.
6. Stevia is an herb, originating in South America, with a long history of safe usage. It has a very sweet taste, which has inspired many stevia products in many forms - liquid and powder. Since the taste is about 500 times sweeter than sugar, and according to research, it apparently does not raise the blood sugar levels, it is used by many diabetics who do not wish to consume sugar or artificial sweeteners. Artificial sweeteners commonly have numerous harmful effects, including memory loss, brain tumors, numbness, and symptoms mimicking Parkinson's disease and multiple sclerosis.
7. Exercise. Make sure to exercise regularly. Walking, biking, hiking, rebounding, aerobics, tennis, yoga, Pilates, weightlifting, kayaking, rowing, roller blading, ice skating, skipping rope, etc. Doctors have noted that regular exercise helps to control blood sugar. Many times people underestimate this powerful remedy, but I have found that when people exercise together, they help each other keep their commitment to continue exercising. Thest results are obtained with exercise that lasts for at least 30 minutes and is done at least 3 times per week.
Specific Diet: If the recommendations put out by the
American Diabetic Association were effective, there would be no
diabetes. Since diabetes still exists, we may assume that there
is something wrong with their recommendations. The number one thing
wrong I find is that the recommendations include animal products
high in fat, and do not emphasize fresh foods over processed foods.
They seem to think that the cure for diabetes is to eat a low calorie
diet. This is a temporary solution to help manage blood sugar levels
moment by moment, but does not actually heal the condition long
term. Doctors think that if they can just get the blood sugar to
be a certain number, then this is the answer. They ignore all of
the organs in the body that have contributed to the disease and
need to be healed. Organs cannot be healed with nutritionally depleted
Therefore, let's look in a different direction. A vegetarian food program has helped many with diabetes, and in some, has resulted in beneficial weight loss which has led to better sugar and cholesterol management. A high animal fat diet leads to high amounts of fat in the blood which in turn, makes body cells less responsive to insulin. Also, whole grains are better to consume than refined ones such as white rice, and processed breads, and research has been done which documents the beneficial effects that whole grains have on blood sugar levels. For high cholesterol, when people stop putting cholesterol in, their bodies, the cholesterol level naturally goes down. This means not to eat anything that came from anything that once had a face. Dean Ornish, MD and John Mc Dougall, MD have documented the beneficial effect of a mostly vegetarian diet on cholesterol.
Raw foods are less of a strain on the pancreas, which does not have to produce as many digestive enzymes when they are consumed. I would emphasize raw, fresh foods as opposed to cooked and processed foods. I've sent some people to the Optimum Health Institute in Lemon Grove California, and they've experienced wonderful results.This is a nonprofit organization that teaches people about the raw food lifestyle. You do not necessarily have to become a raw foodist, though, in order to heal. But it is a great way to learn a lot of holistic healing methods at one time.
10. Regular massage especially concentrating on the abdominal area and around the area of the pancreas (in the solar plexus area and slightly to the left side of the body). This helps to increase circulation to the pancreas as well as to relieve stress. A good massage once a week is very helpful. Usually no one resists this idea. Also helpful may be yoga postures, many of which were designed to increase or balance energy flow to particular areas of the body.
11. On an energetic level, the proper functioning of the pancreas and other digestive organs depends on the solar plexus chakra. You may wish to integrate a few yoga postures into your daily routine, such as those which help to stimulate the solar plexus (also called Manipura) chakra. One such posture is called the bow pose. One of the reasons this posture and others works may be because they put gentle pressure on and give a natural massage to the pancreas area. For more information on this pose and other postures which have been found to help diabetes, visit the website www.babaji.ca. This site sells a booklet of kriya hatha yoga postures and a video so that you can practice at home. Also investigate the yoga center nearest you. A therapeutic yoga class is ideal since the teacher will be leading poses specifically for health issues.
Remember, during any natural treatment or herbal cleansing program, blood sugar levels may fluctuate, so be mindful and check blood sugar levels on a regular basis. During an herbal cleanse, blood sugar levels may actually go higher (temporarily) as the pancreas is cleansing itself of toxins. I have seen and heard of this happening many times. Usually after a period of worsening blood sugar, the levels gradually drop back down and even further down to within normal levels if the person continues the cleanse. Many natural products may lower the blood sugar. It is VERY important to check the blood sugar frequently when taking natural products so that the blood sugar does not go too low and cause a hypoglycemic episode. Garlic alone has documented blood sugar-lowering effects according to researchers all around the world, and I have noticed this blood sugar lowering effect in every diabetic client I have ever put on garlic. Most likely, one will need to adjust blood sugar-lowering medications downwards when taking natural products such as the ones mentioned above.
Hopefully this information will naturally sweeten your day. Good luck and Godspeed.
"Nothing Is Impossible When We Follow Our Inner Guidance,
Even When Its Direction May Threaten Us
By Reversing Our Usual Logic."
- Gerald Jampolsky